Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cow Bells?

We have one neighbor, to our north. Our south and east is nothing, and I mean nothing, but a big empty field until you get to the river. Sunday morning Breana woke up bright and early, happy to inform me that there were cows in the field. Her Sunday morning entertainment, watching the cows, and when I say watching what I really mean is trying to scare them
into running off. The dog are more than happy to assist her in her attempts. These cows do not scare easily, so Breana gives up and comes inside for waffles. The dogs do not give up. They run wildly back and forth up the length of the fence barking their scariest barks, not to scary considering they are cocker spaniels. Eventually the cows move on and the dogs come in.
Story over, except when I take them out at 10:00 pm for their pre-bed potty break. The cows have returned, glad that I watered all these weeds for them over the summer. How kind of me. Really meant to just water my grass. Anyway, the dogs go crazy, because now it is dark and they can't really see the cows, only hear them moving around outside the fence. I am ready for bed, the dogs are ready to protect me from the beast beyond the great fence, or at the very least, show everyone how big and brave they are. They refuse to listen to me, so I am running around the yard, in the dark, in my PJs, barefooted. Not happy. I finally convince them to at least bark from the back yard. And I go to bed. I guess the cows left, or the dogs gave up, and when it was quite, they came in.
No cows yesterday, but again they were out this morning. Only one difference today, the dogs showed no interest. I guess cows aren't a threat to our home after all.

2 comments:

aliannetee said...

Who's antlers are hanging on the fence?

Great Grandma Lin said...

its great you live in the country where there are cows with bells and room to roam. dogs that can bark and room for kids to play.