Monday, July 21, 2008

Ants




A little known fact about red ants: Some times a colony of them will grow wings and fly to a new spot to build a nest. The other day they decided to land on my roof. Thousands of them. They then will chew each others wings off and return to the red ants we are all use to. They ball up in clusters of serveral ants and roll around chewing at each other. My roof was covered, they then would roll off the roof and land all over the ground in my back and side yard. I got my trusty can of Raid and started to spray ants. I ran out and still the ants continued to roll off my roof.

Arnold got the ladder, which was to short to reach the roof, so he put it on a folding table we have in order to make the ladder just a little taller. He has a gallon of bug spray and is going to go spray the ants. I am looking at the ladder on this table and wondering if I am soon to be a widow. But as we walk around the house he is side tract by all the ants that have fallen on the side of the house. He starts spraying the ants and they don't die. This keeps him off the roof. Releif. The next step is the exterminator. He explains to us all about the migration of the ants and assures us we have no need to worry. He is right. By morning the ants have left. The bug spray did work a little, we have lots of little dead ants laying around the house. We also have the house sprayed outside, just in case.

2 comments:

aliannetee said...

Oh Katherine, you make me laugh. I love the way you tell a story. I'm glad to hear your ants are gone though :)

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow, doesn't sound fun but your retelling of it certainly was...we have cockroaches here no matter how much you spray although there are fewer this year for some reason. we only spray outside as neither of us like spray inside to breath.

well the other day i found a cockroach inside and it looked dead till i went to pick it up with a kleenex then it rolled over and started to move. well you'd have thought it was a mouse cause i yelled and called for your dad to come and get it-which he did.

i hate bugs and spiders but am usually braver since i spent many years living alone and had to pick up all kinds of things and also raised four sons who loved bugs.